Sunday, December 23, 2007

I CAN'T GO BACK

I can't go back - I can't go back


I cannot return to where there is lack


I cannot return to what was employed


For what exists now is a colorless void


For what exists now no longer sustains


It keeps me from growing into what my soul ordains


It keeps me from growing and finding my voice


So that I can speak up and be free with my choice


I must speak up so I might be heard


And follow my conscience lest my spirit be stirred


Following my conscience whether right or wrong


I must play these notes and write this song


I must play these notes - even if I'm off key


You may not care for my music, but it matters to me


You may not care for my music - but there are some that do


And as long as I have breath, treat it like it's brand new


And as long as I have breath, I'm gonna keep on givin'


Like Mr. Freeman said, "git busy dyin' or git busy livin' "


I can't go back - I can't go back


I cannot return to where there is lack


Where a chip turns into a crack


Where resentment would stack


Where my star would fade to black


I can't go back

No comments: